Monday, May 18, 2009

Soundtrack

It was about 15 years ago that I kissed a boy in a darkened room while The Pixies' Surfer Rosa played in the background.

A year later, I packed up my belongings, got in the car and drove. I drove through the desert, I drove to Mexico. I drove around and listened to "Where is My Mind" on a boom box that sat on the passenger seat of my car because I had no radio. The windows were down and I sang along, feeling the wind, the melody, and a sense of freedom that comes from being on the road and not knowing what comes next in your life. But being okay anyways.

Later, I listened to it as I drove seven hours straight to Las Vegas on a scorching hot day to meet that same boy - only this time we decided instead of just sitting in a darkened room, we were going to try for a life together.

Fifteen (or is sixteen?) years later, I listened to "Where is My Mind" with our 16-month old son, in our living room, as my cereal got soggy. He smiled with his four front teeth and waved his hands as we danced and spun.

It's been a pretty great soundtrack to my life. (Special thanks to Black Francis, Mrs. John Murphy, et al.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGXdXcpNsv4

No comments:

Post a Comment