Thursday, May 14, 2009

Feeling Lucky...

I'll be honest - I don't have a big circle of friends. There are a few people that mean a whole lot to me but I've never been one to keep up with a lot of different friendships. There are plenty of reasons why: lack of time, maybe I'm a little judgemental or didn't feel there was much common ground, or sometimes life, distant moves, relationships, etc... just got in the way. But mostly I'm a little introverted and it doesn't come that easily to me. It's something I start to regret as I get older, but it also makes me value those that I have.

I have a friend who's really good at making friends. She's always herself and always genuine. She won't admit that she has a lot of friends but she does. She's easy to be with and truly wants her friends to be happy. She's the person I call when I'm spiraling downward and the person I call when I have good news to share. We're on different coasts now, but I love when we visit each other; staying up late talking and laughing at ourselves is something I love, need, and miss. We're different people who sometimes look at things in different ways but ultimately she just wants me to be happy, just as I want that for her. She's the definition of the word supportive. I've known her since we were 17 and that support and friendship has meant so much to me over the past gazillion years.

Which is why I am the biggest dork on the planet for forgetting her birthday recently. I don't know what happened - I always remember that kind of thing. I know she doesn't really care that I forgot, but the least I can do is publicly flog myself for it and let her know how much I value our friendship.

So C. - thank you for being an amazing friend. It makes me cry to think about how much you mean to me. And thank you for being seen in public with me, especially in the early '90s when I wore clothes like this:


No comments:

Post a Comment