Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Brilliance of Lloyd Dobler

Does Cameron Crowe's quintessential teen movie, Say Anything, and it's iconic lead character, Lloyd Dobler, hold any relevance to my current life as I know it? You wouldn't think so, but while laying awake at 3:00 a.m. the other night, my mind thought otherwise. Apparently there is some wisdom, truth, and a touch of brilliance to be found in the Dobler, and it just took me a dark and sleepless night to understand exactly what that was all about:

1. Because he serenades the girl (Diane/Ione Sky) with a power ballad professing love and adoration and who doesn't want that? *Note to former '80s hair band fans: Having someone blast Def Leppard's "Pour Your Sugar on Me" from the stereo in their Firebird in a gas station parking lot does not count. Ditto for Cherry Pie by Warrant. If that someone is wearing a cut-off sleeveless concert tee, it counts even less.

2. Because he doesn't want to sell anything bought or processed, or buy anything sold or processed, or process anything sold, bought, or processed, or repair anything sold, bought, or processed. He doesn't really have a life plan right now, he's just trying to date your daughter. He is, however, looking for a dare to be great situation. Don't get me wrong - Lloyd has passion (kickboxing, Diane Court) but he realizes he's young and is really just trying to find a little meaning and joy in his life, without filling in all the blanks prematurely. I sort of followed that model and chose to fly by the seat of my pants while following my passion. Of course it left me without a 401k and financial security but I did have a few good years where I was rich with time and promise.

3. Because he's Corey's (Lili Taylor) friend and protector. Sure he tries to steer her away from the boyfriend who continuously breaks her huge, open heart, but he's also there to prop her up after she dives in for more. See below.

Corey: Hi Joe. How are you? I love you.
Joe: I love you too.
Corey: You invade my soul.

And after all, if it weren't for her big open wound of a heart, we would never have heard some of the best penned song lyrics in the history of cinema including, "He likes girls named Ashley" and the profoundly succinct, "Joe lies". That will never be her. I know what she means. It was never me either.

4. Because of this:

Diane: You're shaking.
Lloyd: I don't think so.
Diane: You're cold.
Lloyd: I don't think I am.
Diane: Then why are you shaking?
Lloyd: I don't know. I think I'm happy.

5. Because Cameron Crowe created the anti-hero. He rolled the nerd, jock, and rebel into one complex character, defying cinema's stereotypical view of teenagers. And because John Cusack played him flawlessly, imbuing Lloyd with quirkiness, likability, and a just little edge.

I like Lloyd. I respect his goodness. I think I'll watch it again soon but right now I just really want to sleep. Dear brain: As the sage Lloyd once said, "You must chill. You must chill!!".

2 comments:

  1. I just saw this movie again the other weekend when I had the house to myself and remembered how much I loved it. How wonderful to come across this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How funny! And how great that you had the house to yourself!

    ReplyDelete