Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Paper and Scissors

I wanted to add some color and interest to my kids' rooms. Because we're on a budget and we're renting, I needed a solution that was both temporary and cheap. Here's what I've come up with thus far:

1. The birds below are paper cutouts. I used decorative stock paper that you can find at any craft store, Target-type store, or stationary store. I found an image of a bird, simplified the shape and outline and created and traced it onto paper. The branch is simply randomly cut lengths of brown stock paper taped to one long length. The whole thing is adhered with double stick tape. It's basic, but I like the graphic punch and it seems to amuse my son, who is a fan of all things bird.




2. The butterfly garland below is also made out of stock paper. After cutting the shapes out, I used a hole puncher to make holes in each wing and then threaded ribbon throughout. I left a few inches of ribbon hanging on either end and taped the top of the ribbon on the wall (it could also be thumbtacked or tied on a nail or small hook). We hung it a few feet above the head of her bed.



It's a simple idea but I like that they each have something handmade on their walls, and it's kind of a fun challenge to create something out of relatively nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment